It is nothing new that in recent years, the interest in leading a healthy lifestyle has expanded much more to the point of breaking borders and finding different ways to achieve it. New ways of training, ways of seeing life, and, of course, diets, have been the perfect components to create this tailor-made healthy life.
It is very likely that you have already heard about the famous intermittent fasting, the paleo diet, the Dukan diet (which has sparked many controversies and negative opinions) and of course, perhaps the most famous, vegan diet, which as you already know , consists of not eating anything that has animal origin, also eliminating cheese, milk and, of course, eggs.
However, another diet that has also become very famous in recent years is the keto diet, which we will talk about a little more in the lines below.
Before we tell you what all this about the keto diet is about and we give you some tricks and guidelines to follow it, it is important to remind you of the need to consult a specialist before starting any diet, since he will be the one who will tell you which one is best suits you and your physical needs.
The keto diet, also known as ketogenic, consists of a restriction of carbohydrate consumption, setting the limit at 40 grams per day and replacing it exclusively with a very high consumption of healthy fats (salmon, avocado, olive oil…) and lower protein consumption. The diet bears this name due to the ketosis in which the body enters, that is, this restriction of carbohydrates causes the liver not to use glucose from carbohydrates for energy, but instead uses fats as an energy source. .
There are studies that prove that this specific diet also offers benefits for treating some neurological diseases such as epilepsy or Alzheimer's, in addition to the traditional objectives of losing weight, as some of the most recognized figures on the scene have done. international like Kourtney and Kim Kardashian who claims to have lost more than 25 kg thanks to this routine, the supermodel Adriana Lima or the basketball superstar Lebron James.
A diet with drawbacks
As has always been known, the best diet that exists is one in which there is a balance. Therefore, the intake of healthy carbohydrates such as quinoa, fruits and vegetables is essential for the proper functioning of our body.
On the other hand, as we have mentioned before, it is important to consult a specialist to inform you if this diet can be adapted to you, since it is not suitable for people who have metabolic problems, thyroid problems, deficiencies in the kidneys, pancreas and liver among others.
Healthy keto breakfast recipes
If you have already gone to your trusted doctor and are determined to start on the ketogenic diet, here we present 4 very healthy recipes for your keto breakfasts.
1. Chia seed pudding with red berries
Chia seeds are one of the most fashionable ingredients for preparing delicious breakfasts and desserts, as they are rich in iron, calcium and potassium. Of all the keto breakfast recipes, this pudding is probably one of the easiest to make.
Ingredients for 1 person
- 3 tablespoons of chia seeds
- Almond or coconut milk
- Red berries
- Nuts (optional)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon or vanilla
- To make your chia pudding, you must pour the 3 tablespoons of chia seeds into a jar or glass.
- Pour the milk that you have chosen over the seeds, but make sure that it does not reach the end of the container, since the seeds increase in size and it will be more difficult to remove it later.
- Using a spoon, mix the milk and seeds together until well combined.
- Cover the jar with a lid or, failing that, with transparent paper and leave them in the fridge overnight.
- The next morning, you will notice that the seeds have increased in size and that the preparation looks more like a custard. Stir again.
- At this point you can add to your pudding the ingredients or toppings that you like the most. The most classic are red fruits such as raspberries and blueberries. You can also use dried fruits.
2. Creamy chocolate and avocado
Its low sugar level allows this preparation to be used for both dessert and breakfast. Ingredients for 2 people
- 1 ripe avocado
- 2 tablespoons of pure unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- 40 ml of milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla essence
- Agave syrup
- Grated coconut
- Red berries
- Peel the avocado, remove its stone and chop it.
- Put the chopped avocado in a container and mix it with the blender together with the cocoa, honey, syrup, salt, vanilla essence and milk.
- Once all the ingredients are crushed and the result is a homogeneous mixture, pour the preparation into a container that can be hermetically closed.
- Keep the container in the fridge for at least 2 hours so that the mixture cools down well and the texture is smooth.
- Serve it in bowls and as a final touch decorate with red berries and grated coconut.
3. Spinach, mushroom and feta cheese omelette
This recipe, which is also known by its Italian name 'fritatta', has gained a lot of popularity among healthier breakfast eaters.
Ingredients for 2 servings
55 gr of butter
85 gr of fresh spinach
140 gr of mushrooms
55 gr of spring onions
110 gr of feta cheese
- Before starting to prepare the tortilla, preheat the oven to 175ºC
- Cut the feta cheese into very small pieces with the help of a knife or finger and add it to the eggs. Mix both ingredients well and season to your liking.
- Chop the spring onions and mushrooms also into small pieces and fry them in the butter over medium heat for about 7 minutes. Use a pan that you can later put in the oven.
- Once the spring onions and mushrooms are cooked, add the spinach and cook for another minute.
- After the time has elapsed for the vegetables to fry, add the cheese and egg mixture that you made at the beginning and put the pan in the oven for about 20 minutes or until it is golden and cooked in the center.
- When the baking time is over, remove the pan and let it cool. Serve on the plate and enjoy your omelette
4. French toast
Yeah, we know what you're thinking. Toast is synonymous with bread, and this ingredient is not allowed on the keto diet. However, there are ways to create your flours without using carbohydrates. Keep reading because here we explain what you need to make your French toast.
Ingredients for 2 servings
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- 2 tablespoons almond flour
- 2 tablespoons of coconut flour
- ½ teaspoon of baking powder
- 4 eggs
- 4 tablespoons of whipped cream
- ½ teaspoon of cinnamon
- Red berries
- Grease a large flat-bottomed bowl or tray that will fit comfortably in your microwave.
- In the container that you have previously greased, mix all the dry ingredients of the recipe with the help of a spatula. Once mixed, add 1 egg and 2 tablespoons of cream and mix everything very well again.
- The mixture that you have prepared before, cook it in the microwave for about 2 minutes so that the center is cooked. If once the cooking time is over, you prick with a knife and the dough is still raw, let the mixture cook for half a minute more.
- Remove your dough from the microwave, let it cool, and cut it in half.
- In a bowl, mix the eggs and the remaining cream and add the cinnamon. With the resulting mixture, gradually soak the slices that you have made before in the microwave. The trick is to turn it several times so that they are well soaked.
- In a frying pan, make the butter and fry the toasts on it until they are golden.
- To finish your preparation, serve the toasts on a plate and garnish them with berries such as blueberries and raspberries.
Frequently asked questions about the keto diet
What is the keto diet?
The keto diet, which is also known as 'ketogenic', consists of restricting carbohydrate intake as much as possible (40 grams a day maximum) and consuming a large amount of fat and a smaller amount of protein. This diet is widely used, especially by those who want to lose weight, but also to reduce the effects of some diseases such as epilepsy or Alzheimer's.
Is the keto diet right for everyone?
Before starting any diet, it is recommended that you consult a specialist to indicate whether this diet is suitable for certain people. The keto diet can present risks in people with liver, kidney and pancreas problems, among others.
What ingredients are prohibited on the keto diet?
To carry out the keto diet strictly, there are some ingredients that should be avoided such as bread, rice, pasta, sugar, potatoes and even carrots, quinoa and legumes.