Now that we are in summer, there is nothing like enjoying a delicious ice cream for dessert or snack to fight against the hours of strong heat. Even so, many times we go in search of an ice cream that refreshes us and it is common to realize that most of them give more heat and even leave us a little cloyed. Although the flavor par excellence is chocolate, the truth is that with such high temperatures we feel like something more refreshing but without having to give up the sweetness of the dessert.
Figs, also known as figs, are a widely consumed food, although mostly in their dehydrated or fresh version. However, what many people do not know is that they can also be used to make very light, delicious preparations that are perfect for combating the heat of the summer months. For this reason, here we bring you the recipe for fig ice cream, an ideal preparation to refresh yourself, combine with cakes or surprise your guests. Read on and learn how to make the perfect ice cream.
Fig ice cream or figs
The first thing you should know before preparing to prepare your ice cream is that this recipe is of low difficulty and its preparation time is medium. Even if you have never done it, preparing this ice cream should not be difficult, since the ingredients needed are few and easy to use.
In addition, there is no single way to prepare this delicious ice cream, that 'each master has his booklet' can be applied here, as there are many people who differ in their preparation and adapt this recipe to the form in which they have learned it. That is why, here we leave you two of the most widespread ways to prepare fig ice cream.
Fig ice cream based on cream
Ingredients for 4 people
- 750 gr of figs
- 100 gr of sugar
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 200 ml whipping cream
- Figs to decorate
- The first thing you should do is peel the figs very well. Once peeled, remove the pulp they have and reserve them. In a pot, pour 150 ml of water and add the pulp of the figs, the sugar and the juice of half a lemon.
- Once you have mixed the ingredients, put the pot on to heat. When the mixture is boiling, turn the heat to low and cook for another 10 minutes.
- When the 10 minutes are up, remove the pot from the heat and put the mixture in a food processor or blender to blend it. When you're done, remove the mixture and allow it to cool completely.
- Once the mixture you have prepared is cold, add the cream and mix little by little but without beating it, as it could curdle.
- Pour the resulting mixture into the refrigerator and leave it for 30 minutes to set and obtain the smooth texture of ice cream.
- When you see that the mixture is curdled, transfer it to a container and leave it to cool in the freezer.
- Finally, serve the ice cream into bowls with the help of an ice cream spoon and garnish with slices or slices of figs. Don't take too long to bring them to the table so they don't melt and enjoy this summery recipe!
Yoghurt-based fig ice cream
Unlike the previous recipe, this one is not only made with cream, but also with yogurt.
Ingredients for 4 people
- 750 gr of figs or figs
- 2 Greek yogurts
- 1 plain yogurt
- 75 gr of brown sugar
- 200 gr of liquid cream
- First, wash the figs very well with plenty of water and cut off the stem and lower part.
- Once they are washed and with both parts cut, chop the rest of the figs. You can do it with the help of a chopper or blender to make it easier and faster.
- After completing the previous step, you will obtain a liquid mass that you must transfer to a bowl and add the rest of the ingredients (sugar, all the yogurt and cream). Mix everything very well with a spatula.
- Reserve the resulting mixture in the fridge for a while so that it has a better texture. After this time, place the mixture in the fridge and leave it there for approximately 20 minutes.
- After the time in the refrigerator has elapsed, transfer the mixture to a container and leave it in the freezer for a few hours so that it takes the real shape of an ice cream.
- Finally, take it out of the freezer when it's time to serve and marvel at the tender flavor of frozen fig.
*If you don't have a fridge, don't worry, there is another way to make homemade ice cream. Once you have the mixture of what will be your ice cream, transfer it directly to a container and leave it in the freezer. The most important thing is that every hour you stir the preparation with a fork, as this will prevent it from crystallizing and the mass from taking the shape of traditional ice cream.
FAQs about fig ice cream
Is it necessary to use an ice cream maker to prepare the fig ice cream?
Although using an ice cream maker is the easiest and most recommendable way to get the texture perfect, the truth is that there are other tricks that make this task easier if you don't have an ice cream maker. Once the mixture that will be the ice cream has been obtained, it can be placed directly in a closed container and left in the freezer. The trick is to stir the mixture with a fork every hour a couple of times, to prevent it from crystallizing.
When is the best season for figs?
Fig ice cream is perfect for summer because the fig season spans from July to the end of September when they are ripest, sweetest and best tasting.